Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

Finding Original Owner of our Victorian House - John Olson Wrolstad


John Olson Wrolstad built our Queen Ann Victorian in 1893. He was born in Norway in 1839, and came to the U.S. with his parents during the 1850s. He and his father Ole Olson Wrolstad prospered in the lumber business. Here is a photo of the crew at their Northland business.
John was a Civil War veteran. His letters to his mother during the war are published in several books.

I'd been searching a long time, but yesterday I found the gravesites of John, his wife Mathea, and his parents Ole and Maren at the North New Hope Cemetery, northwest of Nelsonville, WI. I spent some time at the cemetery photographing the gravestones, paying my respects and giving thanks to them.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finding the builder of your home. I know that was quite a humbling experience. I am so happy to hear that you were able to do so AND having pictures of it and the families that occupied it are astounding!Your home is gorgeous and I know that you are putting your heart and soul into turning it back into the beauty that it was originally BUILT to be. I have so many questions that I would like answered on our little farmhouse! It just makes the home a little more special to know its history.

    I am glad that I found your blogsite. It inspires me to keep searching and keep working. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete