Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Finished Upstairs Bathroom Today

Above is a great chest of drawers I purchased at St. Vincent DePaul in Appleton, WI last year. The top is a bit distressed, but I went over it with some Danish oil twice, each time letting the oil penetrate the surface. Then I finished by going over the entire piece with Danish oil. Looks great.

In a house like ours, built in 1893, we have to create storage where there is none. We've added this chest of drawers and a jelly cabinet to the right of the pedestal sink to hold medicine cabinet stuff, shaving, cosmetics, hairdryer, etc. I'll take some measurements of cabinet to add some baskets--to sort/hold those items.
Above is the much needed second toilet in the house. I took up the extra rug from the living room and brought it upstairs to the bathroom. It fits perfectly and looks good too.

Above is a detail of the door trim with the flower design, a feature in all the woodwork in the house both upstairs and down.

Above is a detail of the wallpaper (showing the wallpaper's true color).
I know the other photos taken here make the the wallpaper look golden probably because of the soft white/yellow light of the sconces.
I purchased the bathing beauties from The Dane's Home (Antiques) in Waupaca, WI and reframed it to go with the bathroom colors.
Above is the cinamon colored jelly cabinet, and oiled teak flooring--also a cinamon color we admire against the grayed blue-green eucaplytus colored beadboard, a Valspar latex semi-gloss paint color called Bewitch. We painted a bedroom downstairs the same color. I picked up the jelly cabinet at a second hand store in Appleton several years ago. It was in my kitchen at our former home.
Mom and I finished the wallpapering yesterday. This morning while Jon was finishing work on the clawfoot tub connection, I hung the white lace curtains--which really help cut the bright light reflecting off the aluminum colored standing steel roof. The roof is in amazing condition--it was installed new during the mid 1950s. We re-painted the roof June 2007 right after we purchased the house.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way your bathroom turned out! I can't wait to get mine but it is going to take a complete tear off and rebuild. The bath addition is not original to our farmhouse and it was poorly constructed. I can't wait to sit in MY clawfoot tub and look out my windows...ahhhhhhhhhh.....I am so jealous--!!

    ReplyDelete